Fiber-optic technology, customized small and large business plans, alternative energy… if you equate “rural” with “out-of-touch,” think again. Our utilities are surprisingly progressive and affordable.
So, what is the difference between utilities in a metropolitan area and in our corner of the state? Here, you and your business are important. We think you’ll find utility services more responsive and down times shorter.
The Aero Group, Inc. is a telecommunications provider in northwest Illinois, with expertise in a broad spectrum of technologies. Founded in this region, Aero has provided telecommunications services and technical support to the Stephenson County area since 1994. Services include voice and data services in multiple packages and forms, a fiber plant in Freeport delivering metro ethernet to businesses, SIP trunking, VoIP, telecommunication and business network consulting and solutions. Contact: 815-232-9750.
Comcast Business offers a wide range of products and services, an enhanced fiber optic network, experienced customer service, all for a value that will help your bottom line. We deliver reliable Internet, data, voice and TV solutions at competitive prices to keep your business running. Specialties: Business Phone, Broadband Internet, Ethernet Data Service, Business TV.
Frontier Communications offers a range of business plans for voice, video (via Dish Network), data and internet. Services include VoIP, web and audio conferencing, dedicated internet access, data back-up and recovery, Wi-Fi and web hosting. Small businesses can also benefit from their web development. Data Center Services are offered to large enterprises. Everyone at Frontier, including support staff and technicians, lives in the U.S. In fact, Frontier hires local talent to support the places and the people where they do business. Call 1-888-772-3501. Por favor visite nuestro sitio web en Español
JCWIFI.com, a division of Computer Dynamics, is a broadband internet service provider and IT consulting firm in northwest IL. Founded in 1984 as a computer
repair and sales company, they have grown into full featured communications firm; offering a range of custom internet solutions that can accommodate any size business. With live local support and multiple options that meet and exceed your businesses needs it is easy to see why more than 2000 subscribers in northwest IL choose JCWIFI. Call 866-620-3725 or visit their website www.jcwifi.com.
Illinois offers customers are structured and robust competitive electricity market with over 30 certified suppliers, translating into continuous downward pressure on rates. In fact, large customers today are paying less for electricity in real dollars than they were in 1997 when restructuring began. A listing of certified suppliers is available here. In addition, electricity generated in Illinois comes from the largest concentration of nuclear power plants in the country and from a growing wind energy base resulting in lower carbon emissions to align with potential environmental goals.
ComEd is the primary electricity distribution company in northern Illinois, serving 3.8 million customers or approximately 70 percent of the population, and the vast majority of the state’s industrial companies. They have an extensive portfolio of energy efficiency programs to help companies reduce and/or control their energy costs, which earned them a 2012 Energy Star Partner of the Year award.
- ComEd’s outage frequency is the lowest among Illinois utilities and in the top third nationally.
- ComEd also has the shortest average outage duration in Illinois and is among the top third nationally.
- ComEd 2019 Economic Development Electricity Fact Sheet
- 2019 Stephenson County Energy Efficiency Success
- ComEd Economic & Business Development
Contact Henry Pierce, Manager of Economic Development.
Founded in 1954, Northern Illinois Gas, aka Nicor Gas, is the largest natural gas distributor in northern Illinois, serving more than 2.2 million customers in 646 communities. Nicor transports and stores gas for 120,000 commercial and industrial customers.
A customer will have two main costs for natural gas supply: Commodity and delivery.
- Commodity is the cost for the natural gas itself, which is dictated by market forces. Typically, a large industrial customer will purchase the commodity through an independent third party broker. For information about gas suppliers go to: nicorgas.aglr.com/Business/CustomerSelect.aspx.
- Delivery is the cost paid to Nicor Gas to deliver natural gas. Many of Nicor’s large industrial customers are served under Nicor Gas Rate 74, Rate 76 or Rate 77. Delivery charges under these rates are approximately $0.06 – $0.07 per therm or lower depending on specific consumption profiles.
A reasonable rule-of-thumb: Total monthly gas cost will break down as approximately 80% – 85% commodity cost and approximately 15% – 20% delivery cost. Call 888-Nicor4U (642-6748) for more information
WATER AND SEWER
Each community in northwest Illinois is responsible for their own Water and Sewer facilities and service, as you can see when viewing the individual community profiles. Learn more by following the links within each community profile.
SANITATION AND RECYCLING
DID YOU KNOW …
- By August 2013, a high-speed fiber-optic network, built by Northern Illinois University , will offer next-generation communication capabilities to nine counties in northern Illinois.
- In 2002, Adkins Energy LLC, became the first farmer-owned ethanol fuel plant in Illinois. Today, it’s one of several successful fuel producers in the region.
- EcoGrove Wind Farm utilizes 67 wind turbines to generate 100 megawatts – enough power to electrify about 25,000 homes.
- Two large modern dairy farms, Scheidairy Farms and Hunter Haven Farms, use methane digesters to produce electricity from cow manure.