In the heart of the Midwest, Freeport has a history of innovation, a highly-skilled workforce, award-winning healthcare and a focus on continuous learning. This forward-looking community embraces qualities that make the city unique and champions ideas toward progress.
Population: 25,638 (2010 Census)
President: Jodi Miller, 815-232-8200
School: Freeport School District #145
View: ESRI Summary Report
Water: City of Freeport
Sewer: City of Freeport
Sanitation/Recycling: Gills Freeport Disposal, Moring Disposal
Freeport is a city with a rich and vibrant history that welcomes new concepts and innovation. Embracing collaboration, new ideas and diversity, the city celebrates what is being created today for future generations. Freeport is home to Fortune 500 companies, entrepreneurial expertise and manufacturing infrastructure to employ and provide for the community.
AWARDS AND NOTABLES
- Home to the second Lincoln-Douglas Debate and site of the historic “Freeport Doctrine“. Freeport is also honored to be included in the Abraham Lincoln National Heritage Area celebrating the life and times of the 16th US President.
PARKS AND RECREATION
- The Freeport Park District maintains more than 800 acres of park land including Krape Park, Read Park, Oakdale Nature Preserve and Taylor Park.
- The Freeport Art Museum holds the collection of famed businessman, W.T. Rawleigh, along with other resident and traveling exhibits.
- The Freeport Art Plaza is being completed as a cultural hub for Downtown Freeport activity and leisure.
- The 17-mile Jane Addams Trail winds along the northern edge of Freeport with a beautiful trail head at Tutty’s Crossing in Downtown Freeport.
- The Pecatonica River flows adjacent to the Jane Addams Trail making it a leisure destination for paddling enthusiasts.
- Freeport Public Library is a beacon to the value of continuous learning located in downtown.
- Winneshiek Theater is the country’s oldest continuously running amateur theater.
- The Children’s Hands-On Museum has a mission to inspire all children and families to learn, explore, and create through interactive experiences.
BUSINESS & INDUSTRIES
- List of major employers