Situated on Illinois Route 73, west of Freeport, Pearl City is home to many friendly citizens, small businesses and runs along Yellow Creek. This quaint village offers a small-school environment while still providing numerous educational opportunities for students and a beautiful setting to raise a family or start a business.
Population: 838 (2010 Census)
President: Robert Knoup, 815-443-2871
View: ESRI Summary Report
Water: Village of Pearl City
Sewer: Village of Pearl City
In June of 1891, a posting was made stating “whereas, at an election held on the fourth day of June, 1891, a majority of the inhabitants of the territory proposed to be organized as the village of Yellow Creek.” The vote passed and Stephenson County judge George Wolf set June 30th as the day to elect the newly formed village’s first board. The first village board meeting was then held on July 1st, 1891.
In 1892, residents of the village voted to change the name from Yellow Creek to Pearl City. In March of 1893, the Secretary of State issued a certificate stating the proposed name (Pearl City) had not been adapted to any village in the State of Illinois and from that point forward, the village was known as Pearl City.
The name ‘Pearl City’ is believed to have come from a story about a resident named Daniel Ditzler and his finding several pearls along the Yellow Creek in the late 1880’s. The story says he sold one for $800 and used the money to build a new house. It is believed that some of his descendants still have some of the pearls that Daniel found. No other pearls were ever found in the Yellow Creek after Daniel’s finds.
AWARDS AND NOTABLES
- The school was built in 1912 and although it has been remodeled and added onto numerous times, is still the school in use today.
- Pearl City was lucky to have railroad tracks running through town for a long piece of its history. The railroad was responsible for much of the growth and livelihood during the early years of Pearl City. In 1956, the last passenger train ran through Pearl City, but freight trains continued to run through town until 1972. In May of 1973, the tracks were removed.
PARKS AND RECREATION
- Pearl City Park District
- Mill Pond
- Hide-A-Way Park
BUSINESSES AND INDUSTRIES