WITH AN OUTSTANDING LOCATION IN THE HEART OF THE MIDWEST, FREEPORT, ILLINOIS HAS A HISTORY OF INNOVATION, A HIGHLY SKILLED WORKFORCE, AWARD-WINNING HEALTHCARE, A STRONG SCHOOL SYSTEM WITH A FOCUS ON CONTINUOUS LEARNING AND AN OUTSTANDING OUTDOOR EXPERIENCE. FREEPORT, ILLINOIS IS A VIBRANT, FORWARD-LOOKING COMMUNITY THAT EMBRACES THE QUALITIES THAT MAKE US UNIQUE AND CHAMPIONS THE IDEAS THAT CAN MAKE US STRONGER.
Water: City of Freeport
- Storage Capacity: 4,000,000 gallons
- Treatment Capacity: 7,900,000 gallons
- Average Daily Demand: 4,500,000 gallons
- Peak Daily Demand: 6,000,000 gallons
- Excess Capacity: 3,400,000 gallons
Businesses will find that we offer a range of local, county and federal incentive programs that are flexible for your specific needs and business.
- City of Freeport / Stephenson County Enterprise Zone
- City of Freeport Tax Increment Finance Districts (TIF)
- City of Freeport Revolving Loan Fund (RLF)
- City of Freeport Building Exterior Improvement Grant Program
- City of Freeport Historic District
Freeport is a wonderful mix of old and new. Fortune 500 companies like Newell Rubbermaid occupy some of the oldest buildings downtown, while antique stores and mom-and-pop restaurants enjoy software developers as neighbors. Turn-of-the-century Victorian homes co-exist with modern senior-living facilities. Freeport is centrally located, less than 30 minutes from a major UPS hub, home to Albertus Airport (full ILS system approach, 5,500’ L x 100’ W, fully grooved, paved runway where you can land your corporate aircraft even in poor weather conditions), 30 minutes from Chicago-Rockford International Airport and 90 minutes from three larger airports and two hours from four major metropolitan areas.
Freeport High School has a Grammy Award winning music program.
Our excellent schools, from preschool to community college, offer both traditional and up-to-the-minute tools needed to excel in the future.
PARKS AND RECREATION
- More than 800 acres of parks, with activities from an old-fashioned carousel to just enjoying the beauty of Yellow Creek from a paddle boat
- 36-hole golf course and driving range
- Aquatic center
- Nature preserve and center
- Boat rental operation
- Skate park
- Athletic complex
ARTS AND CULTURE
- State-of-the-art library is located in the heart of our historic city center
- Winneshiek Theater is the country’s oldest continuously running amateur theater
- We have concerts in the park on summer evenings, a children’s choir and theater group, a wonderful Arts Centerand an impressive historical museum
BUSINESSES AND INDUSTRIES
Freeport is home to several large manufacturing companies including Newell-Rubbermaid, Honeywell, and Titan Tire Company, as well as a number of mid-size manufacturers. Both our Industrial and Business parks have space for expansion. Many service and retail businesses round out the business picture for our City, some of them supporting the agricultural heritage of our County.
The three largest employers in Freeport are